<5 mins preparation
≈2 hrs cooking time
$3-$4.50 per serve *for cheaper option $2-$3 see Tips & Tricks
Large quantity – can be eaten over a couple days
Serving size: 8-10
Time: ≈2 hours
(Great for winter dinner; comfort food; eating over 2 days)
1.5kg diced beef *for cheaper option see Tips & Tricks
1 (800g) can tinned tomato
2 cups beef stock
1 green bell pepper/capsicum
1 red bell pepper/capsicum
1 large onion
3 garlic gloves
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 small dried chilli (to taste)
500g Spiral pasta or rice (to serve)
1/2 cup sour-cream or natural yogurt (optional)
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large pot and bring to medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté. Add garlic.
- Add meat and cook until well browned. Whilst meat is browning, chop bell peppers/capsicums roughly and add to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients (excluding sour cream/yogurt) and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes with lid on. Stir occasionally. Remove lid and continue simmering for a further 1.5 hours without the lid. Stir occasionally.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
- Stir in or serve on top sour cream/yogurt just before serving.
Tips & Tricks
For cheaper option: Substitute 750grams of beef with potatoes.
Keeps well in the fridge, so you can eat over 2 nights.