Clam Shortbread Biscuits (Clammys)
Less than .50c per serve
Can be made the day before
Serving size: 10-12
Time: <45 minutes
(Great for dessert; or parties)
225g Plain flour
115g Rice flour
115g Castor sugar
225g Butter (salt reduced) – Room temperature
Icing (This will be trial and error & differ person to person)
~4 cups Icing sugar 1.92
~200g Butter (reduced/unsalted) – Room temperature
~1-2 Tbsp Milk
~4 drops Vanilla bean/Vanilla extract
~2 drops Pink food colouring
100s & 1000s
- Preheat over on low heat 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Cover 2 trays with greaseproof baking paper.
- Mix plain flour, rice flour, castor sugar and butter in a bowl until dough is formed.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll in your hand. The dough will soften as you roll it, so do this as quickly as possible. Place rolled ball onto tray. Do this until all the dough has been rolled into balls. Keep balls well-spaced as they will spread whilst cooking.
- Lightly flatten the balls with your fingers until they are 1cm thick and pop into the oven. Cook for ~15-17 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown ever so lightly.
- Whilst cookies are baking mix ~1.5 cups icing sugar, 100g butter, 2 drops of vanilla and pink food colouring. Mix until icing is spreadable (adding ingredients as necessary, icing sugar to thicken, milk to thin).
- Mix remaining icing sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix until icing is thick enough to roll into a ball (adding ingredients as necessary, icing sugar to thicken, milk to thin).
- Take out of the over and remove from hot tray to cool. Be gentle as they are still soft and will harden a little as they cool.
- Wait until cookies are cool, and icing the bottom of each with pink icing.
- Using the thick white icing, roll into small balls 5-10c in diameter. The icing will soften as you roll it, so do this as quickly as possible. Place the icing balls in the first third on top of the pink iced side on half of the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top of the cookies with the white icing balls.
- Roll very small quantities of white icing (2 per clam) and place on top of the cookies to create eyes. Push 100s & thousands into the icing eyes for pupils.
Tips & Tricks
Substitute white icing balls ‘pearls’ with white candy
Make the night before, keep in an airtight container and serve the next day at a party.
For gluten free option try replacing plain flour with gluten free flour.