Family Pleasing Open Tomato and Avocado (and Turkey) Toasted Sandwich
My entire family love these toasted open sandwiches.
Why they’re great
They’re super quick and easy to make.
Great for a light lunch or a brunch snack.
Great textures you can sink your teeth into.
Great for people who like to eat several smaller meals throughout the day.
This recipe makes 2 open toasted sandwiches.
- 2 slices of toasted whole-meal/wholegrain/multigrain toast = 140 calories
- Depending on the bread it can contain vitamin B1, B2, B3, E, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, cooper, iron and dietary fiber
- 4 slices of tomato = 20 calories
- Vitamin A, C and Lycopene
- 2 tablespoons of ripe avocado = 60 calories
- Fiber, folate, vitamin C, E, K and potassium
- 1 tablespoon of red onion = 5 calories
- Polyphenols, flavonoids
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
Total = 225 calories
And for those carnivores out there, add a slice of sliced turkey breast for some lean protein. Being a light meat the flavour will not overpower the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 slices of turkey breast = 45 calories
Total = 270 calories
- Toast the 2 slices of bread to your favourite level.
- Whilst the toast is toasting finely dice the red onion and slice the tomato.
- Once toasted, spread 1 tablespoon of avocado on each slice of toast. Putting the avocado on first will protect the toast from the more juicy ingredients.
3.5. *You can put the turkey on here or at 6.5.
- Layer 2 slices of tomato on each slice of toast on top of the avocado.
- Sprinkle half the red onion on each toast.
- Finish with a pinch of pepper and salt on each open toast.
6.5. *If you’re making sandwiches for multiple people put the turkey on last so it’s easy to recognise.